The phone rang and our eyes leaped to read the caller Id. If it was our Real Estate company, our feelings were mixed. While we were excited to have showing requests, keeping an immaculate house through daily meals, laundry, and homeschooling was wearying, especially with a preschooler.
After countless showings though, our family of five has discovered several steps that make showings smoother.
Seven Steps to Easier Home Stagings and Showings with a Family
- Turn on the bread machine. Drop in 3 cups flour, 1.5 tsp salt, 2 TB olive oil, 8-9 ounces of hot tap water, 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp yeast. Select the rapid setting on any standard bread machine and in 1.5 hours, the aroma of hot bread will fill each room with an unconscious sentiment of home.
- Fling open the windows and the deck. No matter how cold it is outside, opening windows will freshen up your home immensely, even if just for fifteen minutes.
- Delegate duties to each member of the family. When showing requests call in, everyone leaps into action. Each of my teens know which rooms and jobs they have, in addition to roles we all share.
- Have familiar stash places for the papers, statements, and bills that haven’t been paid yet. Under pillows or in clothing drawers is helpful.
- Buy window cleaning liquid in bulk. It is fabulous for mirrors, ovens, fridges, decks, windows, bathroom tiles, faucets, sinks, glass desks, microwaves windows and more. Nothing makes a clean bathroom wall sparkle faster. (Assuming you have already done the hard work of bleaching and scrubbing earlier, of course.)
- Make decorating easy. Keep cut wild flowers or cattails and branches on hand in vases for ready displays in your bathroom and kitchen. Save the special rugs and hand towels that you will use for the showings folded and off to the side, ready for instant deploy. Free yourself from last minute searches for a clean, non-frayed, flawless towel by having it reserved on the side.
- Scoop up and carry with you any random items that you haven’t had a chance to put away yet. One friend shared her great idea to bring unfolded or dirty baskets of laundry with you in the car when you leave.We have done that often.
Rejoice with us that our house seems to be sold! The final inspection, appraisal, and last minute papers are completed and signed, awaiting our June closing. Now, we look for our next home… You may join us in praying for that adventure too, if you'd like. Thanks.
How are YOU this week? How can I pray for you today? Do you have any fabulous home staging/showing advice to pass on?