A hot crumbly chocolate chip cookie smolders beside me on the desk, waiting to be cooled enough to pop into my mouth. Quiet jazz music plays in the background and the dryer hums.
Our house had a showing last night so we cleaned feverishly, loaded up random laundry baskets into the cars, and drove away for an hour or two of errands while potential buyers walked through our home. We ended the evening with colorful ice cream cones at Burger King. The scene was so inncocuous, yet I know that all fast food runs haven't ended so well.
Did you catch news footage a year or so ago of the two cousins who were kidnapped on their way to get milkshakes at Wendy's? Fourteen year old Carol and fifteen year old Kimberly were walking to Wendy's on Main Street in Toledo, Ohio when a white Lincoln Continental car idled up beside them. Thinking the couple inside were a friend's parents, the cousins hopped into the vehicle. They ended up being kidnapped by a prostitution ring, and forced into working truck stops. Eventually they were rescued.
Barry Richards, Executive Vice President of Travel Centers of America heard Kendis Paris, national director of Truckers Against Trafficking (TAT), speak and saw TAT's 28 minute video. Richards was especially impacted by the cousins' story and now makes the TAT film part of required training for all his employees.
Truckers Against Trafficking (TAT)'s 28 min video is compelling but not explicit or overwhelming. Please feel free to watch it now, and pass it onto others. It isn't raw or too hard to watch-- in fact, it brings me hope!
- Watch and share the TAT video above.
- Print out free, easy posters to place in gas station bathrooms, rest areas, and truck stops that raise awareness, and give a phone number to call.
- Print out easy wallet cards to give out to trucker friends, or leave in gas stations and truckstops, that list an anonymous toll-free number to call with any suspicious behavior. My friend Kimberly Rae reports on her site that one man made one call that ended up rescuing ten minors, and stopping a thirteen state trafficking ring. Just one call! We can all help.
Book Give-away: Win an autographed copy of Kimberly Rae's book "Stolen Woman..." Winners will be announced at the end of the series, in a few days. Each action enters your name anew.
- Leave a comment here on my site
- Pray with me here (on the comments) for strength, resources and energy for the people to fight this, or
- Share this on your facebook page by clicking the "fb" button below (and let me know you did), or print out any of the posters or wallet cards above. Let's raise awareness!